Readers

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Animal Totems.......Vultures

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture
Animism is the belief that all things carry life energy-this includes people, animals,rocks and plants.

Animals and humans have had to exist together since time immemorial, therefore it is not surprising that animals have taken prominence in our history, our religions and in our concept of spirituality-
SRW

 Picking up the story thread from my last post of totem animals ; another animal  has been making a lot of appearances in my life and it is the vulture.  Since we moved to our current location over a year ago, I have noticed the vultures that live nearby in a strip of woods down by the river.
I've come to learn that there are two kinds that reside here, the Turkey Vulture and the Black Vulture.

 I need to back up a little here and tell you just before our move last year to our present location, I began to notice some vultures had come to roost on top of an old abandoned house just down the road from where we lived at the time.
 One day I happened to look out the family room window and was surprised to see two vultures sitting on the fence right outside. I had never been that close to a vulture before.
This was curious.
I did some research and learned that the Vulture is associated with the Egyptian Goddess Nekhbet.
 She is the Goddess of Heaven, sometimes related to the sun when she is called, the Eye of RE and other times the moon and Goddess of Childbirth.
With our upcoming move I didn't find the time to do any further studies but I put the occurrence in the back of my mind intending to ponder what the meaning of the event could be.

Then a month or two after we had moved to our new home we decided to take a drive and locate the home of my husband's grandfather and grand mother. Hubby visited there when he was a boy and had told me stories of his adventures.

Driving around the town hubby pointed out the sites to me.  He took a wrong turn down a little dirt street.  We drove down the road  looking for a place to turn around and saw  a huge old tree that was covered in vultures!
 I mean covered!!  
 It was surreal.
Wait there's more......
A month ago  while driving I crested a hill and saw several vultures in the road. They were right there and I was upon them before I knew it. One hopped up and and began to fly toward me.
Luckily no one was behind me when I stopped short.
I did not want a vulture coming through the windshield of my car. The vultures scattered but one veered off to the right of my car.
 I slowly began driving again. That one lone vulture flew even with my car and at eye level with me for a  distance before he left.
The whole experience made me ponder  and wonder what it might mean.

I've had some discoveries..........but that's for the next post.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh Wow! I got chills while reading your post. Can hardly wait for the next installment.....

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You should check out a blog by Anne Johnson called "The Gods Are Bored." She is a devotee of the Great Thunderbird. She even picks up road kill to feed the vultures. When her community used to have a Vulture Festival, she was the one who dressed up in the big vulture mascot outfit. She is totally devoted to them.

Paulette said...

Thanks for the heads up, Debra. I'll check her blog out.