Readers

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Holly and All of It's Relatives

I had a question concerning the Holly image I had posted early. It was pointed out to me that my Holly lacked little pointed leaves.
I took a second look and sure enough those leaves weren't pointy in any way, shape or form.

Hmmm... I had taken the image from Wikipedia surely they would have a correct photo as an illustration.
I did some investigations and found that the illustration used in the article is for the Holly family found that there are over 600 species in the Holly family.

The illustration is of the holly-Ilex paraguariensis- found in many Spanish speaking countries. The leaves of this plant are used to make a drink called Yerba mate, a caffeinated tea.

The Holly associated with the Christmas Holidays is the Ilex aquifolium, that pointy prickly leaved bush/tree whose sprigs adorn our Holiday cards, doorways, mantels and wreaths.

P.S. It's leaves are poisoness, no tea please!

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've heard of Yerba Mate, but didn't know it came from that non-pointy member of the holly family! Thanks for the info!