Readers

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thoughts on Autumn Poems


October gave a party,
The leaves by hundreds came,
The chestnuts, oaks and maples
And leaves of every name.

Sunshine spread a carpet
And everything was grand.
Miss Weather led the dancing;
Professor Wind the band.

George Cooper
I like this little poem and have often wondered if there was more to it.

Anyway.........
     I found a book of  Autumn poems the other day while browsing through the books at my local Goodwill.
I had gone into see if I could locate some small books that I could alter for my mixed media art.
When I spied this book it was just the right size and looked fairly new and the subject content was autumn poems. I immediately decided I'd have to save this book  and find some other book to work with. A book of Autumn poems how perfect can you get, right.?

Once I was home I sat down and began reading some of the poetry. Every blasted poem in the book dealt with the "sorrow" and this "dying" time of the year.

Where's the colors?
Where's the beautiful light?
Where's the rich smell of ripe fruit and harvested vegetables?
Where's the fun of late afternoon walks and crunching leaves?
Where's the joy of carving a Jack O' Lantern, lighting the candle, turning out all the lights and watching it come to life and glow?
Where's the delicious fun of dressing up and going Trick or Treating on Halloween?
Good Grief!!

Like I said it was the right size for altering!

4 comments:

Samantha Stephens said...

How odd. This time of year feels like renewal to me. When was the book published? I enjoy the winding down, putting my garden to sleep and all, but after a long hot summer autumn is sweet relief.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Some people just focus on the negative -- some poets too. So much for that book!

Paulette said...

You got me wondering Sam, so I went and found the book in my art stuff.
It is a book of "selected" poems by Robert Atwan. It was published in 2003.
There are poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay, Keats, Wordsworth, Dickinson and a whole host of characters I'm not familiar with. I decided to reread a few by the above thinking maybe I didn't give them a fair chance. Sat down, read them and Yes, my first impression was correct; all of them were sad, forlorn, cold gloom and doom.

I may have to start my own " selection".
Robert doesn't know @!#%!

Tammie Lee said...

hello,
I enjoyed your post
the poem is a delight
some people really have a hard time when summer is over and the darker shorter days arrive. maybe it is one of them that wrote this book.