Readers

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Gee Whizz!! @#$%! Stupid Camera and Pumpkin, Sage and Barley Soup

My camera died :(

Photos I wanted to take of various Halloween projects that I'm creating are on stand by.
Therefore I'll be posting some previous autumn and Halloween photos with my stories, poems, recipes and what not till I either fix the camera or buy a new one.

In the mean time:

Pumpkin, Sage and Barley Soup:



8 oz.cooked andouille or smoked sausage links
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh sage
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar

In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven cook sausage,onion, and sage in hot oil over medium heat
3 minutes stirring often. Add barley, 4 cups water and bouillon granules.
Bring to boiling. Reduce heat: simmer, covered, 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in pumpkin, maple syrup, and the vinegar; heat through.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 servings

Top With: Green apple slices and additional fresh sage.

Tips....
You can use bulk sausage which you precook, making sure there is no pink left in the sausage.
Hubby's and my stomach can't handle that much barley so you can substitute with a cup of oats.
Oats are a great soup thickener and they cook where you can't tell they are in the soup.


1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love barley in soups! And cooked on its own in a nice pilaf too. Sorry to hear about your camera. Isn't that always the way it goes? Just when you need it most!