Readers

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fairy Cups and Birds Nest Mushrooms

Birds Nest Mushrooms

While working in my herbs today I spied these itty bitty mushrooms in my thyme. I grabbed my camera and took a couple of snaps.
I found my mushroom guide book and proceeded to look these up and see what kind of information I could locate.
They are called Bird's Nest Fungi ( order Nidulariales) because they resemble cuplike bird's nests with eggs inside.The "eggs are actually little seed like cases, called peridoles, that contain parts of the spore mass or gleba.
The "nests" are splash cups that disperse the eggs when raindrops fall in.
There are also slightly larger cup type mushrooms called fairy cups.
White Bird's Nest Mushrooms


 Under our row of Burning Bushes is a large swath of these little nests, some still have their caps on and some show their eggs. Makes me wonder if the fairies are getting ready for a Summer's Gala Event!

I always am amazed and delighted to be fortunate enough to come upon Gaia's wonderful treasures.


2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I have never seen cute little mushrooms like these!

Gemmi Fuchsbau said...

I love that these are called fairy cups, we have a bunch of them here too!
I noticed you took a look at my blog so I thought I'd look here too, its wonderful and I'm happy to have found it!
Enjoy the new moon!
Gemmi