Readers

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Making Magical Berry Ink

1/2 cup of Mulberries,
1/2 teaspoon Salt,
1 teaspoon Vinegar

Mash Berries Gently With a Wooden Spoon in a Sieve/Strainer
over a bowl or measuring cup.

Mulberry Juice with a few floating seeds

Mulberry Ink
The recipe I use to create my berry ink I found in Silver Ravenwolf's book, Hedge Witch.
She advises that you can use any berries such as blueberries, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries etc either singly or a mixture of berries.

I used mulberries from the tree in my neighborhood plus a few blackberries I found growing down near the stream behind the house.
You use the vinegar to help hold the color. I used red wine, one because it doesn't smell as strong as some vinegars can and second because it is a red vinegar and probably has some staining qualities too.
Salt is used to deter mold.

She also advises that you can scent your ink by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil. I decided to use a combination of orange, clove and cinnamon. It gave the ink a nice spicey smell and it also helped mask the vinegar.
 After I added my oils, I restrained my juice to help remove the left over seeds and poured it into my washed clean bottle using a small plastic funnel.
Because this is a natural product it has a short shelf life. To help it last as long as it can, I store my ink in the refrigerator.

3 comments:

Faye Dewell said...

cool idea. I have been looking at making my own ink. I wonder if there's a way to make it last longer though...

Paulette said...

Hi Faye,
I've wondered if it would work,if one used a small amount of vodka as a preservative.
I'll have to do some research on this idea.

Laura said...

this is wonderful! thank you so much for sharing with us.
blessings
~*~