Readers

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Catrina Cavalres, A Quilted Canvass

A couple of years ago I participated in The Day of the Dead  Celebration at the Art Center In Indianapolis, In. I created this Studio Art Quilt to hang above an altar I set up in honor of  Jose Guadalupe Posada.


It was an amazing adventure to study another country's culture and holiday traditions. I have decided I like  the idea of seeing skeletons depicted in a lighthearted but practical view. Catrina in her flowered and feathered hat is a very festive lady!
 And I love all the colors , decorations and the idea of one celebrating  the life of one's ancestors in the traditions of the holiday. 
The quilt is created in a whole cloth manner. I drew my design free hand on  white cloth with pencil. I sandwiched, hand quilted the design and bound the quilt in the traditional manner. Then went back in with  acrylic paints and painted in the picture.
I call my creations Quilted Canvasses.

4 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Catrina is a beauty; look at that smile! And I agree with you, visiting other cultures, studying their traditions is always such a blessing. We usually come out knowing a lot more, and understanding the answers to questions we might have never asked.

Also, giving death this festive theme, makes the living more willing to speak about such natural event.

Ashtoreth Eldritch said...

What a beautiful quilt!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love Catrina's hat and her beautiful smile!

Linda Wildenstein said...

What a lovely quilted piece. I came to Dia de Los Muertos as an observer of another culture but have embrassed it as my own now and my grands just know it as part of what "we" do for our ancestors.
This is a great post, thank you, Oma Linda