Readers

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Crafting Lavender Hand Salve


Working and creating with paints and paper causes my hands to get very dry to the point of cracking and bleeding.
I have tried various lotions on the market and have had mixed results. Seems the only thing that I could tell making a difference was good old Vaseline.
But a small incident of serendipity occurred when I was making some small jar candles.
I love the Bougie Parfumee Luxury Lavender Candles sold at World Market. They are made with soy and other vegetable waxes, essential oils and have cotton wicks. They smell wonderful!

They are sold in open topped glass jars.
     After having used up two of the candles, I noticed that there was wax still coating the sides of the jars.  I decided to scrap out all the wax remaining and craft some small jar candles.
As I worked with the wax I noticed how good my hands felt and smelled.

Could I possibly create my own hand ointment? I wondered.
To the Cauldron!
I measured and melted two tablespoons  of the scented wax bits and crumbs.
Next I added two tablespoons of bees wax pellets that I had purchased at  my local Whole Foods Market. Once they had melted I stirred in three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Because the candle wax was highly fragranced with the lavender essential oil, I only added three drops more of a lavender essential oil that I have on hand.
 I poured my melted concoction  into a 1/2 cup clean warm canning jar and let it cool.

The first batch I made was a little stiff, not cute the consistency I was looking for but boy did it work on my hands and the heels of my feet.

The second batch I made I used the same amounts of candle wax, bees wax pellets, and lavender essential oil.  Only this time I added an one extra tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
After the salve had cooled, it was much more creamy feeling but the fragrance was a little diluted.

I'm still tinkering with the amounts.  Next time less olive oil and more essential oil, I'll have to wait and see.
 I am using my salve and so far it is working well.

No comments: