Readers

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Page from Ruby Temple Blackchurch's Journal



                                                                                                       December 24, 1905

Mother and Father have retired for the evening. After today's busy schedule of baking, wrapping presents and acquiring the tree, they were both exhausted. I told them to go on up and I would finish decorating the tree.
  The garland of popcorn and cranberries has been draped upon the the tree branches. The glass balls and ornaments glitter softly in the glow of firelight. There are just a few more paper cones to fill with nuts, candies and trifles.
   My brother Carl still loves to see what small trinkets and confections are tucked into these petite cornucopias. You wouldn't think a young college man of nineteen could be so enthralled with them. he and several of his classmates will be arriving tomorrow.
   As I was gathering up the ornament boxes I found lodged in a the corner of one a crumple of tissue paper. Unwrapping the paper I discovered a small glass beaded red velvet ornament. It was the ornament Jackson gave to me two years ago this  evening.
Has it only been two years?
It feels like twenty. I still find there are moments when the aching loss of him hits me so hard it takes my breath.
    I first saw Jackson Blackchurch running to catch the trolley I was on. As he grasped the railing to climb aboard, I noticed his blond hair catching the slanting rays of the late afternoon sun. A halo of gold seem to form  around his head.
Being seated near the back of the trolley, I couldn't quite hear his conversation with the motorman. But the gesturing and pointing lead me to think they were discussing street directions.
    As the trolley slowed to its next stop, I watched this young man disembark and hurry down the street.
It was then my voice spoke to me and said, "You will marry this man."
 I felt a shiver of truth run up my spine.
Where and when would I see that  man again I wondered.




to be continued.........

No comments: