Readers

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Following a Pagan Path

Danni over at  Whimsical Cottage posed a question the other day that got me thinking. She asked, How has your relationship with the  spirits, deities,ancestors, etc. changed throughout your journey on the Pagan path? How did you find them? Did they call to you and did they you hear them sooner , rather than later?

First I need to make a declaration of what I have come to believe.  The following statements come to the closest to how I feel.
When one defines oneself as pagan, it means she or he follows an earth or nature religion.
One that sees the divine in all creations. We worship a deity that is both female and male, a Mother Goddess, a Father God who together created all that is, was or will be. We respect life and cherish freewill and accept the sacredness of all creation.  by Edwain McCoy

In trying to address Danni's questions, I related to her how three Goddesses have come to me and how they made themselves known,
The first was Athena. When I began this path I was reading everything I could find on the subject. I found answers to religious questions that I have had since I was a child. I felt like I had finally found my place ,I had come home.
  In my reading I began to identify with many of Athena's characteristics but because I am a mature woman in her 50's and am not a maid any longer. I had my doubts about the signs I was receiving. Evening walks came to be moments of magic for me. I have had three feathers at different times come floating down to me. All I had to do was put out my hand and let them land in it. I thought at first they might be Blue Jay  feathers but not being sure I began to do some research and found on a Nature site that these feathers were Dove feathers.
 During this time I had gone to the bookstore and on the sale bin cart was this book, The Secret Language of Birds, A Treasury of Myth, Folklore & Inspirational True Stories by Adele Nozedar.
There was only one copy and it was in mint condition for $2.00. It honestly felt like it had been placed there for me to find. In her book Adele lists Athena as one of the Goddesses that the Dove is associated with.

I had been and am seeking knowledge and wisdom plus the strength to pursue this path. I realized Athena held the persistence and backbone I needed. I felt that she had chosen me.

Also during this time we took a trip out to Santa Fe to visit a relative.  We went to the Petrogylph National Park in Albuquerque, NM.  As we climbed on the rocks looking at the ancient symbols left there, I found a stone that had a goddess spiral etched upon it.   After we left the park we stopped at a McDonalds to get drinks. I went in to purchase them. Carrying the cardboard drink tray, I stepped out into the late afternoon sun and was surprised to find a roadrunner bird walking toward me. To say I was amazed is an understatement.  The bird cautiously followed me to my car before it went back into the brush.
 I just knew at the time this encounter meant something but I didn't know exactly what.
I've since begun studying Patricia Monaghan's book The Goddess Path.
 One of the chapters is about Hera, the chief goddess of ancient Greece.
One of her symbols is the cuckoo. I wanted to know what this bird looked like so I did some research on the web and found a picture plus this tidbit of information. There is a member of the cuckoo family found here in the South Western States of America, it is the Greater Roadrunner.
Here I had been reading about how the goddesses choose you and how they make themselves known and wondering  if and where they would reveal themselves to me.
So far it seems that Goddesses have made themselves known to me, it just takes me a little bit to understand that they have.

No comments: