Readers

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Spring Cleaning Fever

My annual bout of spring cleaning fever has struck.
I have been inventorying my herb  and spice cabinet, removing out of date items and making list of things to pick up.   I don't know about you but it makes me feel good to step back and look at all the bottles of herbs that I grew, the oils that I made.
Sage

In the last three years my knowledge of herbs, spices and oils has grown by leaps and bounds.
I've come to understand which herbs have a connection to me and the Garden Craft I do.
        Creating herbal mixes for various uses was difficult in the beginning. I didn't know exactly what the herbs were or how to acquire the ones needed to perform certain rites. It took a lot of reading and note taking to learn all about their various properties. Plus I ordered some of the herbs over the net.
In my ordering I selected the smallest amount that was available and was surprised to find that when they were in hand the amount was way more than I needed. I also took by faith that the herbs and resins I was buying were the real things.
   Having learned how to wild harvest and grow my own herbs makes me feel more grounded , more sure and more in touch with the garden witchery I perform.  I've discovered the magic is stronger, I'm more confident and more aware of the Goddesses presence too.

    My tree knowledge has also grown. I have to chuckle to myself when I think how the Goddess directed us to the home and neighborhood we live in now.
Now you maybe asking yourself why does my growing tree knowledge have to with where I live.
  Because while learning about magical trees and their uses I've come to know that many magical trees abound here.
Oak, Hawthorne, Willow, Ash, Elder, Mulberry, Walnut, Maple, Pine, Juniper to name a few, not to mention  the Elder and wild Rose bushes growing here as well.
 I wasn't aware of this when we came here. But as I've been doing my apprentice work and have learned that  a certain leaf or branch for rites, spells and potions was needed. I would come to discover the tree was practically growing in my back yard!

As for my Spring cleaning goes, as I remove old and past potency items  and replace them with fresh I am also renewing my  enthusiasm, my love and wonder with all the marvels of Mother Earth, Gaia.


1 comment:

Monique @ Magpie Hollow said...

Sounds great !!! Also when you grow your own herbs, it is much more powerful !!
Great to have so many magical trees around isn't it ?? I have an ash in my backgarden and apples too.
Have a great weekend.