Readers

Friday, March 16, 2012

Creating Oils and Philters


When I first began creating oils and philters, I had fun searching out the lovely bottles in the colors I wanted to use. I acquired some from Hobby Lobby, a few from my local Goodwill store and a couple I had saved and had stored away in my basement.
Sometimes being a finder and keeper of unique and unusual things comes in handy.
One of the struggles I had was to find and collect all the base oils and essential oils along with the herbs, flowers and stones.
Once I began to craft the oils I had questions about proportions. Some of the recipes supplied the amount required ,others were vague. 
With a little more experience under my belt I have come to find that sometimes the amount the recipes called for made a larger supply than I needed at the time.
I realized I needed  to find a basic fluid ounce measurement table so I could reduce amounts called for in the recipes and still  keep the proportions correct. With a little research I came across this table:

1 minim = 1drop
1 US dram = 60 minims
1 teaspoon = 80 minims
1 tablespoon =3 teaspoons or 4 fluid drams
1 ounce = 2 Tablespoons

 I also found and bought Scott Cunninghams's book, The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews.
It has a lot of helpful information.



No comments: