Readers

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Studying Amaterasu- Clarity


When I look up to the royal sky
I see her, a tranquil queen
behind a screen of clouds. The sun!

This invocation to the sun goddess come from the Nihongi, one of the primary Japanese scriptures.

Reading and studying The Goddess Path by Patricia Monaghan has been thought provoking and very informative for me.
 I have begun the chapter for Amaterasu, the Japanese Sun Goddess. I am not familiar with Japanese culture and mythology so I look forward to learning about it.

Amaterasu is the chief divinity of Shinto, the indigenous pre-Buddhist religion of Japan and is the only goddess who leads the pantheon of a major religion today.  Worshiped in simple tree-flanked shrines-for Shinto is a nature-honoring religion-Amaterasu is also seen in the simple circle on the Japanese flag.

No comments: