Readers

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fortune Tellers Shrine and It's only 101 days to Halloween- The Count Down Begins






I've been working on creating a fortune tellers desk/shrine. I was inspired by an article in a Somerset Studio Magazine  Oct. 2008 issue.
Since Fall Fever has struck me I've been rereading all my saved Halloween magazines. I find it's getting my creative juices flowing.
To create the Shrine I found a cherry stained letter holder at my local Goodwill for only $2.95. I brought it home, did a little deconstruction to it ( tore out the green felt lining in the little drawer) and sanded the finish. I antiqued it using white gesso. I used a harlequin stamp with black stamping ink and a orange glaze to give it some pizazz.
I've saved several Farmer's Almanac's through the years and decided torn pages from them would really spruce up the drawer's interior. It was while I was gluing the pages in that I noticed the personal ads. Sister Ruby seemed so perfect as a name for my Fortune Teller.

Now I'm creating her special fortune teller spell book as well as trying to decide what a fortune teller might have and keep in her shrine. I'm thinking a tin of tea, a special tea cup and possibly some things that deal with palmistry.
If you have any suggestions please let me know.


P.S.  I also am planning a hundred days of Halloween art, poems, images and such.  Tomorrow I will be absent so I'm starting my count down today... Oh Boy! I can hardly wait!! I love Halloween-Samhain!

2 comments:

Moncha Eilis said...

Great work. I love it. It looks very magical.
Halloween is one of my favourite days too. It isn't that big in The Netherlands, but we as a family celebrate it in the form of Samhain, to honour our ancestors !!
Have a magical day.

Paulette said...

Hello Moncha,

Thanks for the kind complements. I've been to checkout your lovely blog but I can't seem to leave any comments. I'm still working on the problem.

I really like that I am discovering how all countries have Holidays to celebrate and honor their ancestors. I'd love to hear about any traditions that your family has or does.

Paulette